Mbarara Regional Referral Hospital has announced that its paediatric surgery team successfully carried out a life-saving operation and removed about 50 stitching needles and other foreign objects from the stomach of a nine-year-old boy.

In a statement issued Tuesday evening, the hospital said the needles had been scattered throughout the child’s stomach, but confirmed that the boy is now out of danger and will continue receiving follow-up care.

“This is just one of the specialised operations we perform here,” the hospital stated. The development comes days after Police reported that the boy’s 45-year-old stepmother had allegedly forced him to swallow the sewing needles over a period of two weeks.

According to Police information, the suspect, Juliet Tushabeomwe, was remanded to prison in Mitooma District on May 7, 2026, over the allegations.

Reports indicate that Tushabeomwe appeared before the Mitooma Chief Magistrate’s Court on charges of aggravated torture after her arrest linked to the alleged abuse of the child. She denied the charges.

The presiding magistrate, Gibson Muhangi, remanded her to prison until June 14, when she is expected to return to court for further mention of the case as the victim continues receiving treatment.

Prosecution states that between August 2025 and April 28, 2026, while in Rweibare Village, Kasheshero Sub-county, Tushabeomwe allegedly forced Samuel Akamumpa to ingest metallic objects and plastic fragments.

State prosecutor Caroline Kesubi told court that investigations into the matter had been completed, while the child continued receiving specialised treatment at Mbarara Regional Referral Hospital following surgery.

The Greater Bushenyi Police Commander, Godfrey Achiria, earlier said investigations were ongoing to establish the full extent of the alleged abuse.