The United States will send an additional 5,000 troops to Poland, U.S. President Donald Trump announced on Thursday.

In a post on Truth Social, Trump said the decision was influenced by his relationship with Poland’s conservative nationalist president, Karol Nawrocki. The announcement came two days after U.S. Vice President JD Vance told reporters that a planned U.S. troop deployment to Poland had been delayed.

The U.S. has been reviewing its military presence in Europe and was widely expected to reduce troop numbers after Trump repeatedly called on NATO to take greater responsibility for Europe’s defense.

“Based on the successful election of the now President of Poland, Karol Nawrocki, who I was proud to endorse, and our relationship with him, I am pleased to announce that the United States will be sending an additional 5,000 troops to Poland,” Trump wrote.

Trump hosted Nawrocki at the White House shortly before the Polish election, where Nawrocki later defeated the candidate backed by Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk and his pro-European centrist party.

The two leaders met again at the White House in September, where Trump said the U.S. could expand its troop presence in Poland and reaffirmed America’s commitment to the country’s defense.