Officials from Uganda’s Ministry of Health, led by Permanent Secretary Dr. Diana Atwine, are set to meet their counterparts from the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) on Saturday to strengthen regional efforts against the Ebola outbreak. The Executive Director of the Uganda Media Centre, Alan Kasujja, confirmed the development on Thursday through his X (formerly Twitter) account. He also revealed that the Director-General of the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention, Dr. Jean Kaseya, will attend the meeting. “A communique will be signed,” Kasujja stated. Earlier on Friday, Dr. Kaseya met President Yoweri Museveni at State House, where they discussed the Ebola situation in the region and the need for a coordinated African response. “We discussed the Ebola situation in the region and the importance of a strong, coordinated, and united African response,” Dr. Kaseya posted on X.He further commended Uganda for its quick handling of the outbreak. “I congratulated Uganda for its rapid and effective response to the outbreak. Following our cross-border meeting with Ministers of Health of the DRC, Uganda and South Sudan, Africa will have one common plan to guide our collective response to this threat, a threat which we will most certainly overcome together,” he added. Uganda recently suspended flights, border transport, and weekly markets in high-risk border districts after confirming two imported Ebola cases linked to the outbreak in eastern DRC. During a briefing at the Uganda Media Centre in Kampala, Dr. Diana Atwine announced several emergency measures. “Weekly markets in high-risk border sub-counties are suspended for 40 weeks. Flights to and from DRC to Uganda are suspended taking effect within 48 hours, and border security patrols will be enhanced to reduce unnecessary cross-border movements,” she said. She noted that the directives apply to all border districts and institutions, including schools, prisons, hotels, and places of worship across the country.Dr. Atwine also provided an update on one of the patients, saying health officials were awaiting her recovery and discharge. Meanwhile, Uganda Airlines announced the suspension of its Entebbe–Kinshasa flights effective Saturday, May 23, 2026, until further notice. “This decision has been taken as a precautionary measure in the interest of the health, safety, and well-being of our passengers, crew, and the wider public,” the airline said in a statement. Passengers affected by the cancellations have been advised to contact Uganda Airlines customer service for assistance. The airline emphasized that it remains committed to maintaining the highest safety standards while closely monitoring the situation in consultation with health and aviation authorities. The Ebola outbreak was linked to a Congolese national who entered Uganda and later died at Kibuli Hospital. Tests later confirmed the Ebola Bundibugyo strain after DRC declared an outbreak. A relative who had contact with the deceased was isolated but later tested negative. The outbreak has also attracted international attention after an American doctor working in DRC’s Ituri region tested positive for haemorrhagic fever and was flown to Germany for treatment. The World Health Organisation later declared the outbreak an international public health emergency. As part of preventive measures, President Museveni also moved to limit mass gatherings, including cancelling this year’s Martyrs Day celebrations to reduce the risk of transmission. Post navigation Rwanda Tightens Ebola Prevention Measures Amid DRC Outbreak Uganda Confirms Three New Ebola Cases as Total Rises to Five