“We’re not just a story. We’re not just headlines—we’re people with families, with lives, with people waiting for us at home,” said a tearful Jake Rosmarin.

For the American travel vlogger aboard the luxury cruise ship MV Hondius in the Atlantic Ocean, what began as a dream voyage has turned into a frightening ordeal.

Rosmarin is among about 150 passengers from 23 countries stranded near Cape Verde, off the west coast of Africa. The situation escalated after three confirmed and five suspected cases of hantavirus—a rare but potentially deadly disease commonly spread by rodents—were identified on board.

So far, three passengers have died, while several others have fallen ill or are showing symptoms. The ship had departed from Argentina about a month ago.

Health authorities are now urgently testing passengers, with the World Health Organization warning that the virus may have spread among those on board.

Initially, Spain had offered to allow the vessel to dock in its islands so passengers could receive treatment and be repatriated. However, this came after Cape Verdean authorities declined clearance earlier, forcing the ship to remain anchored nearby.

The WHO later confirmed that three suspected hantavirus patients had been evacuated from the vessel and were being transported to the Netherlands for medical care. Meanwhile, the president of the Canary Islands, Fernando Clavijo, expressed concern over Spain’s decision to accept the ship, citing uncertainty around the outbreak.

“There’s a lot of uncertainty and that is the hardest part. All we want right now is to feel safe, to have clarity and to get home,” Rosmarin shared with his followers on TikTok.

However, not all passengers share the same level of concern. Another traveler, Kasem Hato, suggested the situation had been exaggerated, partly due to viral videos circulating online.

“While his reaction is valid, it doesn’t represent the situation on board,” Hato said, adding that most passengers remained calm and were coping well.

According to passengers, life on board continues with reading, watching movies, and staying indoors with safety measures such as mask-wearing, sanitizing, and social distancing in place.

Rosmarin later posted updates saying he had calmed down and that conditions on board were stable. “I’m feeling well, getting fresh air, and being taken care of by the crew… just trying to focus on the positive,” he said.

The cruise operator, Oceanwide Expeditions, confirmed that the atmosphere on board remains composed and that efforts are underway to ensure passengers are safely disembarked and medically screened.

The journey began on April 1 in Ushuaia, Argentina, known as the southernmost city in the world. The cruise had taken passengers through scenic and remote destinations, including South Georgia and Tristan da Cunha, offering wildlife experiences and breathtaking landscapes.

But the voyage took a tragic turn on April 11, when a Dutch passenger died on board. His wife was later evacuated to South Africa, where she also died after being diagnosed with hantavirus.

Subsequent cases followed, including a British passenger evacuated in critical but stable condition and a German national who died on May 2, bringing the death toll to three.

South African health authorities later confirmed that the Andes strain of the virus—capable of spreading between people in close contact—had been identified in some evacuated patients.

Oceanwide Expeditions has since arranged for infectious disease specialists from the Netherlands to join the vessel as part of ongoing response efforts. The plan remains for the ship to proceed to the Canary Islands after evacuations are completed.

Nearly a month after the first death, uncertainty still hangs over the voyage, as passengers brace for several more days at sea, hoping for clarity, safety, and a safe return home.