The Ministry of Health has confirmed an imported case of Ebola Bundibugyo virus disease in Uganda.The Ministry’s Permanent Secretary, Dr Diana Atwine, said in a statement released on Friday that the case involves a 59-year-old Congolese man who had been admitted to Kibuli Muslim Hospital in Kampala on May 11, 2026.

He reportedly presented with respiratory distress, fever, epigastric pain, nausea, and difficulty in passing urine.

“While in admission, he deteriorated and died on May 14, 2026 in the Intensive Care Unit with bleeding symptoms,” Dr Atwine said. The body was transported back to the Democratic Republic of Congo at 8pm the same day.

On May 15, the ministry received reports of a suspected Ebola case from public health authorities in the DRC and tested a sample collected from the deceased during care.

“The sample was taken for testing at the Central Emergency Surveillance and Response Support laboratory in Wandegeya Bundibugyo. This is an imported case from DRC. The country has not yet confirmed a local case,” she said.

The ministry has since activated its response mechanisms. Teams have been deployed for screening, surveillance, and rapid response at both official and informal border points, especially along pilgrimage corridors.

Response structures have also been activated at national level and in high-risk districts, including the deployment of a mobile laboratory at Bwera Hospital, establishment of isolation arrangements, strengthening of infection prevention and control measures, and enhanced risk communication along western borders and major transit routes.

A number of contacts linked to the deceased have been isolated, and health authorities are monitoring them closely. “One high-risk contact, a close relative, is currently under quarantine. We are actively following all contacts who came into contact with the index case,” Dr Atwine said.

She urged health workers to maintain a high index of suspicion and strictly follow safety precautions. Private clinics were also encouraged to observe standard operating procedures and report any suspected cases to the nearest district health authorities.

The public has been advised to avoid physical contact with individuals showing symptoms, wash hands regularly, and avoid contact with bodily fluids such as urine, blood, sweat, saliva, vomit, and stool.

“Handling of bodies suspected to have Ebola-like symptoms should be supervised by health teams and follow safe and dignified burial procedures to prevent further spread in communities,” she added. All public places have been urged to provide handwashing facilities.

For suspected cases, the public is encouraged to call the Ministry of Health toll-free line 0800-100-066 or send a free SMS to 6767.

Ebola is a severe viral disease that can be fatal if untreated. It spreads through direct contact with infected bodily fluids or contaminated objects. Early symptoms include sudden fever, fatigue, chest pain, diarrhoea, vomiting, and in some cases yellowing of the eyes, with bleeding often appearing in later stages.

The Ministry of Health said it remains fully engaged and will continue providing updates as response measures are implemented to protect the public.